Kalkūne Manor


Built between 1890 and 1892, Kalkūne Manor Castle, also known as Kalkuņi Manor House in German, is an imposing structure in the heart of Kalkūnis, in the parish of Kalkūnes, Upper Daugava County. The design of this castle is attributed to the renowned architect V. Neimans, who, in the period between 1878 and 1895, served as chief municipal architect of Daugavpils.

Architecture and Details

The castle originally belonged to August von Ettingen and was decorated with the figure of Walter von Plettenberg, Master of the Order. The architecture of the castle mainly reflects the language of the building art of the Middle Ages, although classical and Renaissance influences can also be seen. The solution of the main entrance with a small balcony supported by columns and a staircase, the handrail formed by balustrades, as well as the luxurious pediment above the cornice (unfortunately not preserved to this day), are purely classical.

Abandoned house near the castle

History and Transformations

During August von Ettingen’s ownership, the castle housed a large brick factory that supplied new buildings to Daugavpils, along with a liquor production company. Between 1893 and 1896, the Estonian writer Augusts Kitzbergs worked as the factory’s accountant. Later, the castle passed into the ownership of Count N. Ignatiev and then ended up in the hands of Kazan merchant Vasiliy Koryakin, whose family also owned the manors of Diedrichstein, Getzenstein and Jaunlaiku in the parish of Kalkūne.

After the land reform of 1920, the castle was nationalised and on 17 October 1927 became the Grivas Children’s Home, later housing a military hospital during the Second World War. In February 1945, the children’s shelter resumed its activities as the Kalkūnes Republican Children’s Home. In 1962, the Republican Psychoneurological Orphanage “Kalkūni” was established, followed in 1994 by the “Kalkūni” Orphan Care Centre and since 2004 by the “Kalkūni” Children’s Social Care Centre.

Current State and Preservation

Kalkūne Manor has unfortunately suffered the loss of its original interior, while the auxiliary buildings are in a significant state of disrepair. Currently, the manor is surrounded by newer silicate brick buildings, which are also in a precarious condition.

Urbex location:

Leave a Reply